Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Off to war

When I first started in youth ministry, I found very quickly that there were some ground rules that needed to be set within the group. One of those rules had to do with politics. We don't talk politics at youth group, or at least we don't argue about politics at youth group. Dexter and Sir Joe Esquire were the main reasons I came up with that rule. Best buds who did not see eye to eye when it came to politics. It could get ugly and loud really fast. So, the no politics rule.

It's not been easy to keep that unwritten rule at times. Three years ago it got really hard, the day that M.J. was killed in Iraq. This week it's harder still as C.S. goes to Iraq tomorrow. There are so many things that I would like to say and a rule that I would really like to break. But I won't and instead tomorrow we will pray, "Lord Jesus, keep her safe. Bring an end to this war. Bring the men and women of the military home. Bring peace to our world. Bring peace to our hearts. Amen."

1 comment:

trinity said...

You know that rule would have been so helpful oh I don't know last year. When I took a group of Jr. High Students to Hume. I was sitting up front enjoying their rambling misguided at times discussions when all of the sudden WWIII broke out between the boys. And to my surprise it was the cousins who were at each other over politics. While I let it go for a little while laughing to myself at how misinformed their arguments were I finally had to instate our own no more politics rule in the van.