Tuesday, July 5, 2011

40 days away

Yesterday, I lounged around a friends house all afternoon.  Talking, being quiet, eating, laughing at the antics of a 2 year old and just in general resting.  The smattering of conversation jumped from subject to subject and at one point landed on my next phase of life.  It's a subject that comes up a lot these days.  :)

As we were talking I realized that for 12 years my life has revolved around my job.  It's been about the church and teenagers and parents and people who have needed something from me.  My job has been my life.  In a few weeks all of that is going to change.  In some ways I know that I am ready for that.  I am ready for more free time.  For time to spend with friends.  A part of me doesn't want a new job to appear in September but maybe October or November...though by then I may be going absolutely stir crazy!  I want some time to read books, to walk through the woods or along the beach.  To just allow my soul to rest.  To allow my brain to rest.

Opinionated Friend and I were talking about how we Americans tend to think that our lives revolve around our jobs.  We define ourselves by what we do.  When we don't have a job, there tends to be moments of panic because we have no way of describing ourselves.  Like the "about me" part of this blog, one of the first things we tell people is what we do, not who we are.  While I may currently be the Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministries that doesn't fully describe who I am.  I am first and foremost a child of God, finding my way in the world with God's guidance and love...everything else is the icing on the cake. 

I believe there is a lot of soul searching in my future.

1 comment:

Liya said...

As you arlready know, I hate it when people ask what you do, as if it's your only label in life. Take all the time you need to rest and redirect. I'm proud of you!