Tuesday, November 26, 2013

A question from a 7 year old

My favorite 7 year old, also known as Adventure Boy, spent some time with me recently.  He came over and had lunch, then played some computer games after which we met up with his family for a movie.

As we were headed out of the house for the movie Adventure Boy asked, "Brittany, why aren't you married?"  If I had a dime for every time I've asked that question of God...but I answered him simply, "No one has asked me yet."  Yes, I was trying to dodge the complexity of his question.  Adventure Boy, however, is bright and inquisitive and he turned the tables back on me.

His reply made this liberal minded woman rejoice for the openness of a young mind, "Why don't you ask someone?"

Yes, Adventure Boy, that is an option and I'm still looking.

This conversation reminded me of a year or two ago when K and Adventure Boy had picked me up from work and we were driving back over the big hill together.  I honestly can't remember what we were talking about but from the back seat he piped up and said "Do you know what? A long time ago people were treated badly because of the color of their skin.  That's just not right."  He was five then.

I know plenty of people who discount others because of their skin color, judging them as less than worthy.  I wish it wasn't just a long time ago.  All we have to do is turn on the news every night and we see it playing out in our cities, nation and our world.  Adventure Boy is dead on, it's just not right.

Adventure Boy, I love you.  And I love that your parents are raising you to value people for people and not the gender stereotypes nor what color their skin is.  You, Adventure Boy, give me hope.

*Bonus story*

Adventure Boy has been taking piano lessons.  He had his first recital on Sunday.  The same day I was being quizzed on my marital status, I asked him how he was feeling about the recital.  He said "Scared."  We had a little discussion in which I told him I thought he would do a great job because he likes people and likes to be in front of people, entertaining them.  I didn't get much of a response from that.

On Sunday after the recital I asked him how he felt about his performance and he said, "I play better in front of people."  This kid!

No comments: