Saturday, May 19, 2007

Procrastination, my old friend

I recently re-entered the world of graduate school. I'm not really sure why I feel the need to torture myself like this every-so-often. Seriously. I am so good at procrastination. It comes naturally. I put off writing papers until the last possible second and then am a stress case until it's done. There was one paper in college that I didn't write until the last minute (literally hours before class started) and then the printer in the computer lab wouldn't let me have my paper. And every printer on campus that I had access I couldn't get on to print the paper (because so many others were late with their own papers). My only option was to run home and retype the whole thing on my old computer and print it out (dot matrix printers...gotta love 'em!). I was 45 minutes late for class, but I got it in! And got a lower grade.

Yeah, procrastination and I are old friends. These days it's even worse. When I was an undergrad I didn't have DSL or cable. I couldn't afford it...actually DSL wasn't even available. But now, I have On-Demand and Wi-Fi. The possiblities for procrastination are limitless! Not to mention a full-time job, friends, books that I like to read, ITunes and a blog! I'm even considering cleaning the shower or any room in the house to avoid writing the papers I have due in two weeks. Now that I think about it, my apartment was always really clean when I was procrastinating on school work. Hmmmm.

It's not like these papers are hard. 2 pages, double-spaced, reflections on three books that I read for the class. I liked the books. It shouldn't be so hard to write out my thoughts on paper and be done with it. That's what I'm doing here, right? So why is it so hard to get myself motivated? Sigh. Old habits die hard, as the saying goes. Yep, procrastination and I are old friends. It has been awhile since the shower was cleaned...

No comments: