Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Radio

I was on the radio again this morning. Talking about Pearlington, of course. It was a phone interview, so I didn't need to get up at the crack of dawn to head to the radio station, but rather get up at the crack of dawn and wait for the phone to ring while flipping channels between the morning news shows. It was pretty nice and I think the interview went pretty well after the first minute or so.

I've always wondered what it would be like to be on the radio and I'm pretty sure that it's a lot more pressure than I ever want to tackle. Seriously. When we were in the studio a few weeks ago there were so many rules...don't shuffle papers, speak directly into the microphone, don't cough into the microphone, don't speak over each other (I flubbed that one this morning) and so on. I moved in my chair once and it made such a loud squeak I immediately got very self-conscious. I don't like feeling that way. I also don't like listening to myself after I speak, in any instance. It's just fodder for me to beat myself up over and over again for something I said wrong or something that I forgot or whatever. I tend to be my toughest critic and rehash things that are said in my head over and over again anyway...why do I need a tape recording of it as well???

But the radio show went well today and I hope that there were a couple of people out there that heard something that spurs them into action, either by donating money or donating their time...and if there was a newspaper reporter listening who wanted to write up something about our trips to Pearlington, well, I wouldn't be opposed to that either! Anything to get the word out!

No comments: