Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Acronym's in my life

There are moments when I have to stop and just laugh at the absurdity of the world in which I reside.

In my job as an Administrative Assistant for District____ of Rotary International, I have had to learn a whole new lingo.  There is the District Governor, who can also go by DG.  The District Governor Elect or DGE.  The District Governor Nominee or DGN.  Now we have the District Governor Nominee Designate or DGND.  They, as a whole, are also known as the Governor String or the G-String.  I do not make this up.

There are a whole slew of people with the title of PDG or Past District Governor.  There are AG's who are Assistant Governor's for Area's...which completely confused me for the first six months where I kept calling the Assistant Governor's the Area Governor's.  The acronym still worked!

We also have the PE's aka President's-Elect and the PN or PEN (President Nominee or President Elect Nominee depending on the club).  

My personal favorite, though has got to be the Rotary International President or RIP.  Can anyone blame me when I see RIP John Henry and immediately wonder when I missed the memo that John Henry died?  PRIP confused the heck out of me to until I finally figured it out Past Rotary International President.  My head is spinning.

Now, I have only just grazed the surface of the acronym's that I must be familiar with to speak Rotary.  There is TRF and PHS, not to be confused with PHF (I think I made that one up) and SARs, which is not a disease in the world of Rotary, it's the Semi-Annual Reports which also means it's time to pay your dues. 

Rotary speak should not be confused with text speak, which is a whole world unto itself, especially if you are my Grandmother where "r dressing waiting fr u. hgs" means "Ranch dressing waiting for you.  Hugs".  I get ROFL (rolling on floor laughing) or LOL (laugh out loud), though I don't think people should actually use those acronyms when they are speaking...you know who you are.  If you actually have to say "LOL" instead of laughing out loud, then things must not really be that funny.  BTW is pretty well known as "by the way".  FML had me stymied for a little while (Sorry, my mother reads this blog, I'm not interpreting).  Once I figured it out though, I realized how incorrectly people use that one. Does a hang nail actually deserve something so severe as an FML?  I hereby declare that the 2nd most over used acronym, right behind the ever annoying LOL.

I remember using FYI on a paper for the youth group one time and the youth couldn't figure it out.  It's like they had never seen an episode of Murphy Brown in their life...please, you don't need to remind me that they probably hadn't.  (FYI=For Your Information, if you were wondering).  TGIF was made famous by the food chain.  But probably my most favorite acronym comes from a bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy, fun, fun, fun, fun, fun character...Tigger.

TTFN--Ta Ta For Now!

No comments: