Thursday, June 7, 2007

12 days and counting

Our team leaves for Pearlington, MS in 12 days. That's less than two weeks away. Stunning, simply stunning.

I'm not sure what I'm expecting out of this trip. I'm praying for a team that works together, for projects that keep us busy, for projects to get done! It would be personally satisfying to see someone move into a completed home. But it's not about me or what I want. This is about the people who live in Pearlington, who lost their homes, their belongings and maybe their livelihoods, in a horrific storm. This trip isn't me, it isn't about our team, it's about us being used by God to help people, to bring hope and to love people. One nail at a time, one family at a time, one moment at a time.

Another part of the trip is to remind people our community that New Orleans wasn't the only area effected by Hurricane Katrina. Having lived through the Loma Prieta Earthquake, I know the frustration that goes along with having your town destroyed and yet not getting the recognition or understanding it deserves because a big city also suffered damages. Every time I hear someone refer to the Loma Prieta Quake as the "San Francisco Quake" I want to scream. The same thing happens when I hear the damage Hurricane Katrina caused to the Gulf Coast centralized to New Orleans. I've driven along the coast of Mississippi, I've seen a part of the destruction, this wasn't just New Orleans Hurricane. It's really important that we remember that.

12 days and counting. I'm starting to get anxious.

No comments: