Tuesday, August 7, 2007

It's gettin' loud over here

It's day two of Vacation Bible School. 63 children ages 3-11 are running around the church today, learning about God, shouting "Yee-hah!" and singing praises to God with their loudest voices. I'm always amazed at how VBS pulls together, seemingly at the last second and works out to be a great adventure for the children and the leaders. I'm also amazed at the number of Middle School, High School and College Students who show up year after year to be leaders. They love this stuff.

My job is to lead the singing. Two years ago I was ready to quit. I was DONE with leading the songs, just worn out. I gave myself one more year, which has turned into two and can I just say, I'm digging it again. There's something about teaching the moves to "I Like Bananas" and singing "Pharaoh, Pharaoh" over and over again that is comforting, refreshing and revitalizing. Don't get me wrong, by the end of the week I will have sung those two songs enough times that I won't want to hear them again for years, but for today, for this week, I'm digging it again. And it feels really good.

No comments: