Monday, May 2, 2011

Blessing and cursing

I was just thinking about that old rhyme that we tell kids when they are being teased or picked on..."sticks and stones may break my bones but names/words will never hurt me."  Why do we lie to children?

James, who wrote the book of James found in the Bible states that:
"People can tame all kinds of animals, birds, reptiles, and fish, but no one can tame the tongue. It is restless and evil, full of deadly poison. Sometimes it praises our Lord and Father, and sometimes it curses those who have been made in the image of God. And so blessing and cursing come pouring out of the same mouth. Surely, my brothers and sisters, this is not right!"  James 3:7-10 (NLT) 

It's true.  I've been on both sides of that truth.  I've blessed, I've cursed and I've been on the receiving end of both blessings and cursing.  I highly prefer to be praised, thanks.  And, truthfully, I'd rather bless others with my words.

Lately, I'm feeling a little too tender.  My skin feels thin, my heart a little too weak, my soul a little too dry.  Which means my guard goes up a little higher and I'm quicker to be sharp and critical with my words.  It's not something I'm proud of, as James says "this is not right!"  It has been pointed out that I've been a little too free with my words.  Which is kind of ironic for this shy, quiet, observant person.  Maybe I'm breaking out of that mold of me...maybe that is rubbing people the wrong way...maybe I am being free to speak. 

What I do know tonight is that we lie to our children about words and that James said it best..."it's not right!"*

*According to the New Living Translation of the Bible anyway.  :)

No comments: