Thursday, May 19, 2011

Retreat

A week from today I will be sitting on the shores of a lake.  This could potentially be my view. (Admittedly borrowed the pic from a website.)

The last time I sat around this lake was a couple of years ago.  Two days before I had sat around a lake close by and got a nasty sunburn on my legs.  Two days later, as I sat along the shore of this lake, snowflakes were falling onto my very burnt legs.  Kind of a strange week.

Next week it may very well be the same kind of weather but I will be better prepared (i.e. have long pants and sweatshirts!).

What I am looking forward to, isn't the weather so much, or even the view, it's the space.  I'm paying big bucks to go spend time with God.  There is a part of my brain that says it's wrong that I have to pay money in order to take time to spend with God, but I know myself.  I know that carving out this time is hard.  Other things get in the way.  Having this space seems so precious, so sacred, so needed.  The fact that the retreat that I'm going to is in one of the most beautiful locations in the world (yes, I am a little biased), well, that's a bonus. (Plus people I love live there too.  Double bonus!)

I'm counting down the days and praying in the meantime for ears to hear, a heart that is open and eyes to see what God wants to share...or not share. 

No comments: