Friday, December 16, 2011

Friday Five: To Do Lists

Jan @ RevGals says:  Ever since I was little, I heard that Santa is making a list and checking it twice. I can see why he has to keep checking it, because there is so much to do before Christmas! Only nine days left, and I don't have church services to plan, but there is much left to be done. My daughter-in-law tells me that she feels behind, which is how I have been feeling.

No matter how organized you are, there must be some things you still need to do. For this Friday Five, tell us five things on your Christmas "To Do" List. Include anything you have decided to skip doing this year. As a bonus, give us something that helps you remember why this season even exists.



Gonna do my best to get 5!  Being mostly job-less at the moment has given me lots of free time to get things done!










1. Finish Christmas Cards and mail them.  The last couple of years during or before Christmas I've been in Mississippi so I bought postcards and sent them as my Christmas Cards.  Actually putting cards in envelopes feels weird!

2.  Purchase one or two more gifts and stocking stuffers.  I took over the filling of stockings for Yo Momma, Papa Bear and G.G. years back.  It's always the most fun but most challenging part of Christmas!

3.  Wrap all the gifts.  There aren't a ton but what is there needs some wrapping paper!  I did buy some pretty reusable shopping bags that will pass as gift bags.  In my neck of the woods we will soon be required to provide all our own bags at stores or pay for paper bags, so I figured why not give reusable bags as gifts at Christmas!  That's my Christmas wrapping tip this season.

Yep, that's all that really needs to be done.  Can't make it to 5!  The think that I'm skipping this year isn't something that I really want to skip. This Christmas will be the first in 5 years that I'm not preparing to go to, coming home from or actually in Mississippi doing Hurricane Katrina Relief work.  No money to do the work that needs to be done.  I am very sad and will miss that very much.
 
This Christmas I am looking forward to Christmas Eve service at a tiny church in the mountains.  I plan on going to the latest service, sitting in the back, closing my eyes and being in the presence of other believers, singing praises to God and reflecting on the miracle that was sent into the world to be the light in the darkness.  I am looking forward to the lights being low and the candles flickering and the cold air as we exit the church.  Then it will feel like Christmas.

No comments: