Friday, March 14, 2008

Reading

I like to read. I like to read a lot. I usually read to escape from life, which means a bunch of fluff books. I can go through fluff books really, really fast. It's not good when I've read all the books that interest me at the library and have to head to the bookstore. Not good at all.

Reading for information is always harder for me to do. It feels too much like school, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, just tougher. Because I've trained myself to read fast, I miss information and have to re-read things over and over again. Which is why, if you were to look at the bookshelf next to my bed, you would find over a dozen non-fiction books sitting on the shelf. I have started reading them all and then stalled. The fiction books though, they rarely sit on the shelf for long.

There are times, though, when my brain just says no. No more information, no more reading, no more! That's when I spend a lot of time watching TV or Netflx or on the computer. Sometimes these periods of reading droughts will last a few weeks, sometimes only a few days. I've been on one of those droughts lately. Just haven't felt like I've had the brain space to put more information in, even if it is fluff.

And then my friend Trin invited me to join this sight called Goodreads.com. I started putting together lists of books that I have read or am reading or are sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. I realized that I miss reading. I miss laughing at the silly adventures of Miss Julia or getting excited about something that Anne L. wrote. I miss reading.

So I'm making a renewed effort and maybe getting a bigger purse. I'm going to start taking time each day to read...and not just blogs but real books! This means that I'm going to have to start taking books with me places (hence the bigger purse) or start leaving books in my car. Maybe I'll finally read all the books on my shelf!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yo, Momma has some of those books sitting in a pile by her bed. Just go get them if you want to read them.

trinity said...

Hey I am starting The Organic God today, so you should read that one from your pile, so we can chat about it. Just a thought.