Sunday, March 2, 2008

A visitor

She arrived sometime between 6:45am and 8:30am. She came in so subtlety that I wasn't completely aware of her arrival until it was too late. I had hints of her arrival. Sarcastic comments, snippy attitude, frustration. She brought the mood of the morning down, laughing was harder, smiles less frequent. By the time church started there was no going back, she had completely taken over. I could tell by the lack of enthusiasm that loomed over the morning. The worship service seemed to take forever. All I could think about was getting out of the building, getting away, hiding. But I knew it wouldn't help. She would follow me out of the building. She would follow me home. I did what I could to avoid her but still she loomed there, just at the edge of my view. The only way that I was going to get away from her was to confront her head on.

And so I took a big breath, faced the mirror, looked myself in the eye and said "Miss Cranky Pants go away!"

No comments: