Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Breakfast, airplanes and songs

This morning I had breakfast with two friends whom I haven't spent much time with in awhile. A few years ago there were 4 of us who would meet around the breakfast table talking youth ministry and life. One moved away, one moved out of ministry and our breakfast meetings, well they got lost in the shuffle. But this morning I got up at the crack of dawn to meet with my two friends. It was good to be around the table with them, to share in what is happening in our lives now, to laugh together, to reminisce about days gone by and so on. I didn't realize until we were there how much I've missed those times. That said, if they really want me to be more talkative, then the crack of dawn is not the time to have breakfast.

Getting up extra early this morning was especially painful because I knew that I would be out late tonight. Yo Momma and Papa Bear have been out of town and their plane was scheduled to land tonight at 11:10pm. Crack of dawn to dead of night, that was going to be my day. Yippee! But there is a God and this God had pity on me...their flight was cancelled! They arrive tomorrow at lunchtime. While that makes today oh so much more pleasant, it makes things tomorrow a little bit tighter but if it means more sleep tonight, I'm not complaining!

Finally, onto songs. I listen to a lot of music. I am a Worship Leader for a church. There are a lot of good songs out there...why am I only hearing the bad ones on the "preview" cd's? Seriously, the lyrics to the song I just heard rival another's lyrics that a friend recently pointed out as rather awkward to be singing to God. And while I'm on the subject of lyrics, I'm really tired of hearing how "busy" God must be because God isn't answering prayers the way that the songwriter wanted them to be answered. Bad theology, bad lyrics, not my favorite songs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't think I was excited about being out somewhere that early, sister (although if I'm going to be out that early, Walnut Ave. is definitely near the top of the list). It's just these kooky things that come with having a regular job (if you can call mine that ... which you probably can't). I don't know why I'm unavailable for 10:30 breakfast meetings, but so far, I'm not. I just need to hire me some more workers so I can get up later!


And also, I'm with you about funky lyrics in worship tunes. I don't know if you sing that song from Psalm 2 or not, but the passage (v. 8-9) goes "Ask of me, and I will make the nations your inheritance, the ends of the earth your possession. You will rule them with an iron scepter; you will dash them to pieces like pottery." I've always heard it presented as a missions kind of tune, but I don't think God wants to give us the nations so we can dash them to pieces like pottery. But y'know ... who cares if it's misinterpreting Scripture when it has a catchy tune, right?