Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Beach+Food+Rollercoaster+Youth=Fun!

The first bus arrived at the beach last night sometime after 6:20pm and the fun began. By the time the third bus pulled up the event was well underway. Food was being eaten, some people were jumping in the water, ride tickets had been given out and my anxiety level had noticeably eased. As I wandered through the lines handing out ride tickets, maps and just saying Hi to the 130 Youth Advisory Delegates that are in town for the Big Church Party it struck me...I really like this stuff. I like hanging out with Young Adults, laughing with them, planning things that bring them joy, listening to what's going on in their heads, all that brings me joy and a sense of purpose.

Somehow in the last few years I have lost confidence in my abilities and gifts. I've begun to think of myself as outdated, useless and I've been wondering if maybe the time to get out is around the corner. Four simple hours with 130 YAD's reminded me that I like what I do, that I've been gifted for this. I believe God is reminding me that Youth Ministry is a part of who I am. Maybe that means that I'll continue to be in this role for years to come, maybe it will change and become something different, maybe God will call me somewhere else. I don't know the answers but I do know that hanging out on the beach with students last night was so good for my soul.

Back to the event. I was struck immediately at how polite the majority of the YAD's were. They were genuinely grateful for everything we were providing. The big thing for some of them was putting their feet in the Pacific Ocean. One young lady mentioned that she is the first out of her family to travel out of her state. The first! One had never seen the ocean before. Many were happy to play in the sand, others excited about riding the rides. All were happy to have a night off before refocusing their energies on the rest of the Big Church Party. It was so much fun to be in their presence. I'm so grateful for the opportunity to serve these amazing young people. If the future of the church is in the hands of those whom I came into contact with last night, I would say there are some great things in store!

I forgot to add! The best sight of all was stepping onto the bus and seeing the t-shirts that Songfriend designed being worn by all the YAD's. Very, very cool!

No comments: