Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Glass

I cried on the bus this morning.

That sentence sounds very dramatic.  The moment didn't happen anything like that.

What did happen was I got on the bus, found a seat just for me, put in my headphones, turned on my iPod and listened to a song...which made me think of life...which made me think of a friend who's had more than their fair share of ups and downs and turmoils.  Life is looking up for this friend but the past is still there...the wounds life has dealt are beginning to scab over...the scars will still remain.  All of this was going through my head and the next thing I knew the tears had formed and were trickling down my cheeks.  I'm not sure anyone around me noticed.  I didn't try to hide the tears.  I let them fall.

The tears came easily, partly because they have been waiting, just behind the lids of my eyes for a few weeks now.  My soul has been feeling a little fragile, a little tender lately.  The tears fall easily.  It happened at work just last week.  I found myself reading something, an email I think, and the those waiting tears commenced.

At church on Sunday, the same thing happened.  I'm not sure if it was Pastor Bruce or the visiting Missionary but someone said something and there they were, those tears.

I've been in this place before, this tears-in-waiting place.  It's usually as God begins to birth something new in my life.  I have no idea what is coming next.  All I know is I'm feeling a little fragile...kinda like glass...and it's a good thing.

Just in case you are curious, the video below is the song...I deliberately chose the video that just had the lyrics and music.  Thompson Square "Glass".

1 comment:

Emily said...

Your past few posts are really making me question why you have never become a social worker! Excited to see where these thoughts about justice and hypocrisy lead you... Also, the tears as preparation for something big reminds me of Nehemiah's story of brokenness leading to restorative action. Keep us posted on how God works these things together in your life!