Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday Five: Seasons Edition

Kathrynzj at RevGals says: "Headquarters for me is the northeast of the United States. Here school is getting back in session, the tease of autumn is in the air (or the hope for the tease of autumn is in the air) and church life is gearing up to full throttle.
One thing I've learned with blogging and social media is that the where I live is not necessarily where you live. And so I want to know what September means to you, in your place of the world and time in your life.
This week's Friday Five is: What are 5 things that the beginning of September mean to you?
Bonus: What's one thing you could do without?"
 
I'm late to the party today but here's my five!

1.  September means that schools are officially back in session, which means that the traveling on the roads around here changes.  Not so many teen drivers during the day and lots more parent drivers in the morning and afternoon.  If I leave the house between 7 and 8:30am (which is rare) I travel an alternate route to avoid the traffic jam.  Same with heading home between 2:15 and 3pm.

2.  Church camp!  The second weekend in September is FPC's annual trek to the KOA.  Even though I'm no longer a part of the church, I'm still going to one more church camp.  Nothing like staying up until the wee hours of the morning sitting around the campfire and laughing with friends.  This year R-girl and I are getting a cabin though.

3.  September usually means that the weather gets warmer during the day and cooler at night.  This year has been an anomaly in weather though.  Lots more fog...not that I'm complaining!

4.  September is my birthday month.  I usually spend the month trying not to think about being another year older.

5.  After so many years being in school and being in youth ministry, I always look at September as the beginning of the year.  It's the time for my vacation, for reflection and to begin planning for the months ahead.  It seems kinda strange not to be doing that this year!

Bonus:  The thing I could do without is the bees and yellow jackets.  While we see them during the summer, for whatever reason the yellow jackets especially get a little more daring and dangerous this time of the year.  Though we might like to eat outside, we hardly dare!

No comments: