Mary Beth at RevGalBlogPals says:
Happy Friday to you all!
The sad news of Michael Jackson's untimely death has me thinking about music and its effects on us - individually, as cultures, as generations. Let's think about the soundtracks of our lives...
1) What sort of music did you listen to as a child - this would likely have been determined or influenced by your parents? Or perhaps your family wasn't musical...was the news the background? the radio? Singing around the piano?
I remember listening to country and folk a lot. The Kingston Trio is Yo Momma's favorite and I can sing a lot of those songs! Papa Bear liked country then. I remember him making me sit and listen to George Straits song "The Chair". It's a good song but I had no taste for country music then. We would have family sing-alongs around the piano at G.G's house, lots of church music. And I clearly remember making the family sit around while I performed songs from "The Sound of Music". Aaah...memories.
2) Going ahead to teenage years, is there a song that says "high school" (or whatever it might've been called where you lived) to you?
High School, ahhhh, high school. Mrs. Frey's Jazzercise class...I requested this song all.the.time!
The video quality isn't so good but I loved that song. Loved it! Okay, I still do.
3) What is your favorite music for a lift on a down day? (hint: go to www.pandora.com and type in a performer/composer...see what you come up with!)
It depends on the kind of down day, actually. If I'm mad it's Meredith Brooks song that rhymes with witch, especially driving home with the top down on the race car. If I'm just down I typically turn to Amy Grant, Jennifer Knapp or Shane & Shane. No particular song just uplifting stuff.
4) Who is your favorite performer of all time?
Amy Grant, no question.
5) What is your favorite style of music for worship?
I prefer "contemporary" music for worship but happen to really dig hymns that have been tinkered with a little. This is one of my favorites:
Bonus if you include a video of any of the above!
I included two! Double bonus for me :)